Employees are tuning out and leaning back. Global engagement scores have dropped during the COVID pandemic. As of 2021 in the U.S., only 36% of employees are engaged in their workplace, according to Gallup. Globally, the global percentage of engaged employees is even lower at 20%.
That’s bad news for your business. Gallup found that 15% percent of workers were actively disengaged in June 2021. Of disengaged employees, 74% are either actively looking for a new gig or watching for open roles.
Losing your team has costly consequences in the Great Reshuffle. Recruiting industry data puts the average cost of hiring a new employee in 2022 at about $4,500. And the hiring cost is just the tip of the iceberg. Add the ripple effects caused when an employee leaves — potentially impacting everything from team morale to customer relationships — and the cost of replacing an employee can balloon to between one-half and two times their annual salary.
So do you have an employee engagement problem on your hands? Perhaps your culture leaves employees dissatisfied or can be classified as toxic. To find out the state of your company, you’ll need employee engagement data and honest feedback.
Employee engagement software is an invaluable tool. These six products allow you to survey employees and collect the data you need to make your company a place where people want to stay.
- What it is: Leapsome allows your human resource team to customize its surveys — from the questions asked to the frequency employees are tapped for feedback. You can also make submissions anonymous. Leapsome supports segmentation by department or other designations. Results can be shared at any time. Information can also be set as public, private or viewable by specific individuals (such as a mentor).
- Compatibility: Leapsome can be integrated within existing workplace tools including Slack, Teams and popular HR platforms.
- Notable customers: Leapsome counts some well-known companies among its customers, including Spotify and Mercedes-Benz.
- How much it costs: Prices start at $6 a month per employee.
- What it is: Kazoo describes itself as an employee experience platform, with goals, incentives and recognition features. It includes WorkTango employee surveys that can be geared toward various stages of the employment life cycle — including on-boarding and off-boarding. You can also survey employee engagement and retention.
- One of the unique strengths of WorkTango surveys is the ability for managers to ask follow-up questions to a survey respondent — while preserving their anonymity — resulting in more meaningful dialog.
- Another strong point is Kazoo’s analytics and reporting capabilities. They offer capabilities such as correlating employee engagement to the achievement of business objectives.
- Compatibility: Kazoo supports integration with popular workplace tools including Slack, Google Workspace and popular HR platforms.
- Notable customers: Notable Kazoo customers include Kia, Patagonia and Habitat for Humanity.
- How much it costs: Prices start at $4.25 a month per employee.
Senior Executive DEI is the destination for decision-makers driving diversity, equity, and inclusion progress at organizations around the world.
Proven-in-practice tactics to overcome your most pressing DEI challenges.
Actionable tools and resources to guide your next DEI move.
Opportunities to showcase your expertise and learn from like-minded DEI pioneers.
Sign up free to get the DEI Advisor newsletter in your inbox every two weeks.
3. Culture Amp
- What it is: Culture Amp is built to gain employee insight from surveys and daily interactions. The platform uses research-backed employee surveys that can be customized as needed.
- You can’t get much more on-point than Culture Amp’s “turnover prediction” report that shows management if top talent is at risk of leaving and why. Another key management report shows recommended focus areas to prioritize for the highest impact on employee retention.
- For organizations looking for insights on employee turnover, Culture Amp publishes yearly employee engagement benchmarks across industries and regions.
- Notable customers: A long list of companies use Culture Amp for their employee engagement needs, including Slack, Oracle and McDonald’s.
- How much it costs: Prices are based on quotation but start at $11 a month per employee.
- What it is: One of the big selling points of OfficeVibe is its simplicity, with surveys taking only minutes to prepare. The platform makes it easy to send company-wide surveys, then supplement these with team-specific versions for more detailed feedback. OfficeVibe features the ability to send out automated, weekly “Pulse” surveys. The tool provides insights to help management identify and address areas of employee dissatisfaction.
- OfficeVibe offers a valuable tool for anonymous feedback. Employees can chat anonymously with management for more open feedback about important issues.
- Compatibility: OfficeVibe can be integrated with popular applications including Slack, Microsoft Teams and Office 365.
- Notable customers: Well-known companies that use OfficeVibe as their employee engagement platform include Dyson, Trivago and Bose.
- How much it costs: Prices start at $5 a month per employee.
- What it is: Organizations use ActivTrak to assess focus and engagement across teams, including remote teams. The goal is not just increased employee engagement but also increased employee productivity. ActivTrak also emphasizes the importance of quantifiable insights. This approach includes analysis of employees’ everyday activities (not just point-in-time surveys) for a continuous measurement of employee engagement over time. Productivity metrics are determined through staff interaction with specific websites, applications and with other teams. There is no keystroke logging, email monitoring or other surveillance measures that endanger employee trust. Baselines are established and goals can be set. Workloads for employees and teams can be tracked to ensure they don’t exceed company-defined healthy ranges.
- ActivTrak includes dashboards so managers can spot indicators of employee disengagement or burnout early.
- Notable customers: ActivTrak customers include Re/Max, Allstate and Axos Bank.
- How much it costs: Prices start at $9 a month per employee.
- What it is: Qualtrics’ XM platform is a suite of tools covering a wide range of business needs. Those aimed at the employee experience are designed to help a company attract and retain talent. Its employee engagement software provides real-time insights on data provided through employee surveys and feedback on the platform. Key drivers of engagement are identified. Improvements can be tracked. Users can also compare results to industry, Global and Fortune 500 benchmarks.
- One of the strengths of Qualtrics is its use of AI-driven analytics and human language tools. This advanced technology (iQ) monitors the XM data in real-time. Employing AI, machine learning and natural language processing to scan for potential issues, iQ predicts problem areas that management should address before they become a negative part of company culture. It then delivers real-time notifications and recommendations.
- Notable customers: Qualtrics boasts many well-known customers, including BMW, Under Armour and JetBlue.
- How much it costs: Because Qualtrics XM is a suite of products, annual pricing varies depending on which tools are part of your subscription. Pricing starts at $1,500 per year.